I use a silicon muffin tray which makes it really easy to remove the muffins. You could also use individual cases or a standard aluminium muffin pan (just make sure you grease it.)
Anything goes with this recipe, so if you are avoiding dairy or meat, you can replace the haloumi and/or meat with mushrooms, capsicum, spinach, cherry tomatoes or whatever else you like.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup of diced bacon or cooked chicken pieces.
- 2/3 cup of diced haloumi . You could also use feta. If you wish to avoid dairy, substitute some chopped roast pumpkin/sweet potato pieces or sun dried tomatoes.
- few leaves of fresh basil (optional)
- 1 small onion, diced
- A good pinch of sea salt
- Some cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Optional: dried chilli flakes of 12 fresh red chilli finely sliced.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C
- If using bacon (or mushrooms), pan fry & set aside.
- Sautee onion(& chilli if using) in olive oil until soft and golden. Keep aside
- Pan fry haloumi cheese on both sides until golden brown crust forms. Add to garlic mixture with salami/bacon/chicken
- Whisk 6 eggs together. Spray baking muffin moulds with olive oil or rub some coconut oil or ghee on the sides and bottom.
- Combine all ingredients except eggs together and divide evenly between 6 moulds.
- Pour in equal amounts of whisked eggs and stir each muffin case with a fork. Place on the middle shelf of the oven and bake at 170C for about 20-25 minutes or until the muffins have risen and firmed up on the top.