Sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fibre, beta-carotene, vitamin C, manganese and potassium. Whilst they are often considered to be a starchy vegetable, sweet potato is low GI and highly nutrient dense, making them a great substitute for more processed and refined cereals.
What’s fascinating about sweet potatoes is their Sweet potatoes have the ability to improveblood sugar regulation, even in people with type 2 diabetes. Recent research has shown that extracts from sweet potatoes can significantly increase blood levels of adiponectin in persons with type 2 diabetes. Adiponectin is a protein hormone produced by our fat cells, and it serves as an important modifier of insulin metabolism.
Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie
- 1kg grass-fed minced beef
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced.
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 brown onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Handful of fresh herbs- thyme, oregano, basil (dried itilian herbs would also work 1-2 teaspoons)
- ¼ cup of tomato paste
- 2 cups stock- I had some vegetable stock handy that I had recently made but beef or chicken would work well.
- 1- 2 bay leaves. (fresh, although dried will work)
- 2 teaspoons Tapioca flour (for thickening)
- 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Coconut oil to brown meat and onion
Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Sauté onion and garlic in coconut oil for 5-7 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add mince and turn heat to high. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently
- Then add mushrooms, carrots, garlic, red wine, sea salt, pepper, bay leaves, herbs and bring back to boil. Add beef stock, tomato paste & tamari and stir through. Turn the ehat down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes with the lid on, stirring through occasionally.
- Whilst beef mixture is simmering, place sweet potato in a saucepan of water. Bring to boil and cook for 10-15 minutes or until soft when poked with a fork. Drain well and return to the saucepan.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of butter to sweet potato alsong with te parmesan and mash until smooth.
- Once beef mixture has finished simmering, add 1 teaspoon of butter & the tapioca flour. Mix well and cook for a further few minutes.
- You can make 1 large pie or several smaller ones. Spread beef mixture evenly along ottom of baking dish, leaving space for the mash (should be ¾ beef mixture and ¼ mash)
- Spread mash evenly along top of beef mixture, I use a fork to ‘swirl’ the mash to create some texture.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
Optional: sprinkle a little parmesan over the top and return to oven for another 3-4 minutes.
Serve with some greens.