I try to always keep my pantry and fridge well stocked. I cook the majority of our meals so I like to have things on hand.
Here are some of the spices and sauces that I keep in my pantry.
- Pink Himalayan Rock salt
- Turmeric. Aside from being delicious, turmeric has many health properties including being a potent natural anti-inflammatory.
- Sumac. Made from a Middle Eastern berry. It has a fruity, lemon flavour. I sprinkle it over roast chicken and lamb back straps amongst other things.
- Dried chilli flakes
- Cayenne pepper
- Organic apple cider vinegar
- Organic Tamari
- Fish sauce- make sure it is sugar-free
- Coconut oil
- Good quality cold pressed olive oil for salad dressing
- Macadamia oil
- Avocado oil
- Organic coconut milk
- Organic coconut cream
- Almond or Brazil nut butter
Baking and other staples
- coconut flour
- Organic shredded coconut
- Raw nuts; almonds, brazil nuts, macadamias, pepitas, sunflower seeds, cashews, pecans.
- Bi carb soda
- Baking powder
- Tapioca starch
- Raw cacao powder*
- Maca and mesquite powder
- Organic goji berries
- Tinned tomatoes
- Homemade vegetable stock, mustard and tomato paste. I make this in my Thermomix
- semi dried tomatoes
- Tinned tuna and/or salmon- buy the highest quality you can.
- Herbal teas; Fennel and liquorice , peppermint, dandelion chai.
*I am not consuming cacao whilst I am on the detox.
Most importantly of course are the fresh foods, including vegetables, fruit, meat, fish and eggs. We do a big shop at the market once a week and might visit another 1-2 times especially to buy fresh fish.
- Organic free range eggs
- Organic chicken
- Fish; flathead, tuna, blue eye or a whole fish such as snapper
- Rocket/baby spinach
- Rainbow chard/silverbeet
- Carrots- orange and purple
- Sweet potato
- Asian greens such as; chinese broccoli, bok choy & choy sum.
- Onions, garlic, shallots, ginger
- blueberries and strawberries